Thank you Doug for your comprehensive response. This looks clear, and I am
going to try it out. Just one question for now:

In step 1 (create a template from a single subject), I do not yet have
"sphere.reg". Should I write "--surf-reg sphere"?

make_average_surface --subjects $subjectlist[1] \
   --out iter00 --template-only --surf-reg sphere

Reza

Hi Reza, I think that this should work.
doug

set subjectlist = (subject1 subject2 ...)

1. Create a template from a single subject

make_average_surface --subjects $subjectlist[1] \
   --out iter00 --template-only --surf-reg sphere.reg

2. Register each subject to this template, including first
subject. Each of these may take 30 min, so, if you have a lot of
subjects, you may want to submit each job to the cluster.

foreach subject ($subjectlist)
   # Create subject/surf/iter00.sphere.reg, --no-annot for monkey
   surfreg --s $subject --t iter00 --no-annot
end

3. Create a new template from all subjects using the new registration

make_average_surface --subjects $subjectlist \
   --out iter01 --template-only --surf-reg iter00.sphere.reg

4. Register each subject to this new template

foreach subject ($subjectlist)
   # Create subject/surf/iter01.sphere.reg, --no-annot for monkey
   surfreg --s $subject --t iter01 --no-annot
end

5. Return to step 3. Iterate 4 or 5 times to remove the dependence on
the first subject.

When using mri_surf2surf or mris_preproc, spec --surfreg
iterXX.sphere.reg. For mris_preproc also spec --targ iterXX