Hi Ting,

What I usually do is to project my functional data to fsaverage space
and then smooth and downsample to whatever resolution I want. There
are different fsaverage resolution meshes, like fsaverage5 (~20k
vertices) and fsaverage6 (~80k vertices). This can be achieved using
standard freesurfer tools like mri_vol2surf and mri_surf2surf. Note
that in this scenario, even though the data is in fsaverage space,
this does not preclude individual subject analysis. The advantage of
the above approach is that we can still easily perform a group
analysis if we want to in the future.

The disadvantage is that we lose a little bit of the subject's native
cortical geometry, which is not an issue for your proposed approach.
However, I am not aware of freesurfer tools that will let you
downsample an arbitrary mesh. Perhaps someone who is more intimately
aware of freesurfer's tools can jump in on this.

Cheers,
Thomas