From: " andreia " <_andre...@sapo.pt>
To: "Freesurfer support list" <freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>, "Eugenio
Iglesias" <e.igles...@bcbl.eu>
Sent: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 2:40:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] Hippocampal subfields

Hi,

Will it be possible to incorporate the new hippo subfields atlas and stats
generation in the 5.3 recon-all without having to process everything from
scratch with 6.0?

Thank you,
Andreia

Citando Eugenio Iglesias < e.igles...@bcbl.eu >:

Dear Erik / Angela,
the atlas in 5.3 was derived from manual annotations on in vivo images that
relied largely on geometric rules, and led to volume estimates that did not
agree well with histology studies. The new atlas is based on ex vivo MRI and
agrees better with histology. Moreover, it also has the option to input higher
resolution images (in addition to the standard 1 mm T1), which yield a much
better fit of the internal structure of the hippocampus.
That said, IMHO you can still publish papers with the old tool; you just need
to be careful with the interpretation of the results, and discuss these issues
in the submission.
Kind regards,
/Eugenio

Juan Eugenio Iglesias