Hello freesurfers,

I wanted to get your opinion on altering the white matter low limit in the
mri_segment command through attaching the "-seg-wlo" flag onto -autorecon2. I
am working on a Frontotemporal Dementia cohort. In patients with severe
atrophy, there always tends to be a great deal of both white matter and pial
surface underestimation in the anterior temporal and dorsal frontal areas. I
have found that lowering the white matter low limit does a fantastic job of
fixing the surface underestimations in those regions-saving the numerous hours
of labor required to manually fix these problem areas with control points.

I was hoping someone could provide insight into what exactly changing this
value is doing to the data. Does changing this value lead to inaccuracies that
I am not seeing? Most importantly, is it safe to mix cases where I set the
white matter low limit to 60 (or 40 in some severe cases) with other cases that
retain their default value of 90 in the same dataset?

Thank you!
Gabe

Gabe Marx
Clinical Research Coordinator