From: Anderson M. Winkler <wink...@fmrib.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, May 14, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] Usage of --area option in estimating the
vertex-wise maps of surface area
To: free <freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>

Hi Xi-Nian,

As Doug said, they don't do the same thing. The method in the paper
uses a different kind of interpolation to allows the preservation of
the amount of area, whereas mris_preproc achieves the same globally
using a Jacobian correction. The results aren't expected to be
identical at the vertex level or for small regions.

An implementation of the method we proposed in the paper is available
for Octave and/or Matlab at http://brainder.org/download/areal
It works fine, but beware that it's quite slow.

All the best,

Anderson

2013/5/13 Douglas Greve <gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>

> Hi Xi-Nian, it does not do the same thing, but it does something
similar. Anderson found that it gave similar results in a lot of cases,
but he has found some differences. If he's still following the FS list,
maybe he can comment.

> doug
>

> On 5/11/13 9:53 PM, Xinian Zuo wrote:
>
> Hello Doug,
>
> I am doing some association studies between functional measures and
surface area. In using  mris_preproc, there is an option --area. Does
this do sth similar to that as Winkler et al. (2012)?

> Winkler et al., 2012. Measureing and comparing brain cortical
surfacearea and other areal quantities.