1.

cd  $FREESURFER_HOME/subjects/fsaverage/surf
matlab
MATLAB is selecting SOFTWARE OPENGL rendering.

                                                         < M A T L A B (R) >
                                               Copyright 1984-2014 The
MathWorks, Inc.
                                               R2014b (8.4.0.150421) 64-bit
(glnxa64)
                                                         September 15, 2014

To get started, type one of these: helpwin, helpdesk, or demo.
For product information, visit www.mathworks.com.

>> help read_surf
   [vertex_coords, faces] = read_surf(fname)
   reads a the vertex coordinates and face lists from a surface file
   note that reading the faces from a quad file can take a very long
   time due to the goofy format that they are stored in. If the faces
   output variable is not specified, they will not be read so it
   should execute pretty quickly.

>> [v,f] = read_surf('lh.inflated');
>> help read_curv
   [curv, fnum] = read_curv(fname)
   reads a binary curvature file into a vector

>> [thick,fnum] = read_curv('lh.thickness');

2. Yes, but I'll leave this for Doug.

and your other question in the next email - the qcache flag does *not*
regenerate fsaverage, it just maps some things (like thickness) to the
fsaverage space. In general we haven't found the need to recreate fsaverage
since the warping is so high dimensional, but you can do so if you want
with make_average_subject.