Dear all,

I'm performing a study about the variability of the execution time of
recon-all. I noticed that the execution of recon-all in Freesurfer 5.3 for
two identical MRIs (two copies of the same MRI), takes different execution
time.

I'm performing the execution using GPUs capability, but the same is
happening for the CPU-only executions.

Checking the output logs I found that in for example CA Reg, the number of
the iterations is different, what's the main source of this variability? I
guess that maybe It is related to some random seeds used and the
convergence of the implemented methods. Am I right?

CA Reg example:

Execution Time 1 - Subject 1: 00:25:23
Execution Time 2 - Subject 1: 00:32:14

In both cases the computing node was used exclusively used for the
recon-all execution.

Did you measured the percentage of this variability? Can we extract some
measures to compare the performed work on each execution? I'm thinking on
the number of GPU kernels executed, the number of the iterations of the
methods...

Thank you in advance,

--
Jordi Delgado Mengual