Hello Freesurfers,

I have been using mri_compute_volume_fractions for a while and I just noticed
something weird. Some clearly csf pixels (sometime very large groups) are not
filled in the *.csf.mgz image mri_compute_volume_fractions produces The first
following figure shows a posterior coronal slice, with the csf image overlaid
with heat colormap. Look at the curser in the left calcarine sulcus for an
obvious example, and note that it is not due to some particular slice cut.
[cid:image002.png@01D0E413.F57966B0]

These voxels are instead wrongly assigned to gray matter by
mri_compute_volume_fractions, as can be seen in the *.gm.mgz image below (same
slice).
[cid:image006.png@01D0E413.F57966B0]

Seems like at least this particular spot of the volume is handled ok by other
parts of freesurfer's pipeline since the cortical ribbon */mri/ribbon.mgz does
not include it (does not consider it to be gray or white matter; figure below)
[cid:image008.png@01D0E413.F57966B0]

You can understand that this worries me a bit.

I found $FREESURFER_HOME/VERSION file, which tells me I am running the
following Freesurfer version:
freesurfer-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-stable5-20130513
I am running Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS on a 64-bit machine.

Thanks a lot for any help!
Sébastien Proulx