From: freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
[freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu] on behalf of Douglas N Greve
[gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, November 03, 2015 2:01 PM
To: freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] cortical thickness - comparing two groups within a ROI

On 10/30/2015 01:36 PM, Eryilmaz, H. Hamdi wrote:
> Sorry, the figures I inserted in the text did not appear in the email.
> I attach them now.
>
> Best,
> Hamdi

Correct
> Assuming this is correct, I created a label for this region (which
> contains about 3000 vertices) and extracted the thickness value from
> this region for each subject using the following commands. These
> commands are part of scripts in which $subject and $label are defined.
>

> _to make a label for each subject (the original label was created on
> fsaverage):_
> *mri_label2label* --srclabel $SUBJECTS_DIR/labels/${label}.label
> --srcsubject fsaverage --trglabel
> $SUBJECTS_DIR/$subject/label/$label.label --trgsubject $subject
> --regmethod surface --hemi lh
>
> _to create a stats file of this ROI containing several anatomical
> measures:_
> *mris_anatomical_stats* -f
> $SUBJECTS_DIR/$subject/stats/lh.NP_PostMINUSPre_IPS.label.stats -l
> $SUBJECTS_DIR/$subject/label/NP_PostMINUSPre_IPS.label $subject lh
>
> _to compile thickness values from all subjects into one table: _
> *aparcstats2table* --hemi lh --subjectsfile
> $SUBJECTS_DIR/Subject_Files/RPDR/214_PrePostFort --parc
> NP_PostMINUSPre_IPS.label --meas thickness --tablefile
> $SUBJECTS_DIR/Analyses_Thickness/Tables/LH_NP_PostMINUSPre_IPS_stats.txt
>
> This table displays the average thickness value of my ROI for each
> subject. Based on this table I calculated the mean thickness for each
> group, which is as the following:
>
> PostFort: 3.043
> PreFort: 2.842
>
> My question is: If this cluster appears blue in the Post>Pre map,
> shouldn't the thickness have been greater in the PreFort group? Or am
> I missing a step?
Not sure. The commands look right. Can you try something else?
mri_segstats --slabel fsaverage lh contrast.fsaverage.label --i y.mgh
--id 1 --avgwf y.label.dat

This should create a single column of numbers in y.label.dat that
correspond to the mean thickness in the label of each  subject as
ordered in your fsgd file. See if you get similar numbers to your method
doug

> Many thanks in advance!
>
> Best,
> Hamdi