Thanks, Doug! Got it. So FreeSurfer registers the individual scans to the
MNI305 atlas but mri_surfcluster reports approx. Talairach coordinates with the
default option: —fixmni

I was a little bit confused because this website
(https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/CoordinateSystems) says that the
following: "Note on Talairach:
FreeSurfer<https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/FreeSurfer> does not
report true "Talairach" coordinates. The coordinates listed unter "Talairach"
are actually based on Matthew Brett's 10/8/98 non-linear transform from MNI305
space (see http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/Imaging/mnispace.html).
FreeSurfer<https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/FreeSurfer> also reports
"Talairach MNI" coordinates. These are MNI305 space.”

If my understanding is correct, by default, the “Talairach” coordinates
reported by mri_surfcluster (with —fixmni) are non-linear transformation from
the MNI305 space; they are approx. Talairach coord as you suggested. And If I
ever use —nofixmni, then it is what is internally used by FreeSurfer, the
MNI305 space, or the "Talairach MNI” coordinates.

Is the understanding above correct?

Thanks!

--
Daniel Yang, Ph.D.