For those who do not know, Apple's latest release of OSX 10.11 (El
Capitan) implements SIP (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204899), a sort
of security protection technology, that unfortunately breaks the way
freesurfer passes library paths.

We are currently making changes to the code so that freesurfer version 6
(when it is released) will be compliant with the new OSX changes. Until
that time, you can get freesurfer to run properly on your El Capitan
system by temporarily disabling SIP. See the following link for
instructions:

http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/05/disable-rootless-system-integrity-protection-mac-os-x/

Hope this helps.

-Zeke