Ive discovered that if you add the following line to the
freeview/Makefile.am file then it will build succcessfully.

  freeview_CXXFLAGS = $(QT_CXXFLAGS) $(AM_CXXFLAGS)
  freeview_CPPFLAGS = $(QT_CPPFLAGS) $(AM_CPPFLAGS)
-freeview_LDFLAGS       = $(QT_LDFLAGS) $(OS_LDFLAGS)
+freeview_LDFLAGS       = $(QT_LDFLAGS) $(OS_LDFLAGS) \
+       -Wl,--allow-multiple-definition
  freeview_LDADD                = $(QT_LIBS)    \
        $(addprefix $(top_builddir)/, $(LIBS_MGH)) \
        $(top_builddir)/vtkfsio/libvtkfsio.a \

Turns out the issue is with the build of LAPACK provided by Ubuntu, as
it contains a duplicate function. (https://cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=12912)

I will be committing the change and pushing to the git repo after some
testing, probably later this evening.

-Zeke