This topic gets brought up occasionally and their are valid arguments to
both sides. One reason we have hesitated to use dynamic libs is the partly
due to freesurfers long release cycle (all subjects that are part of a
study need to be performed all on the same version). This long release
cycle sometimes necessitates fixes to a particular binary in the stream,
which users are then free to use. Although this is a less than ideal
release strategy, it is the reality of the situation. And if we linked
against dynamic libs than any time a binary was updated, ALL those libs
would need to be updated, which in turn would affect all binaries which
link against them. I suppose only newly released binaries could be static,
but their may be unintended consequences that Im not thinking of at the
moment.

Im open to conversing about this, and appreciate any constructive feedback
on improving our release model. But I would prefer to take the
conversation offline as it gets overly technical rather quick.

-Zeke