My guess is that pico did not actually save the license file because by
default all directories under /Applications is protected. Which mean the
"sudo" command is required.

Do you definitely have a file called license.txt (or .license) in your
FREESURFER_HOME directory? What happens when you type the following in a
terminal window?

   $> cd /Applications/freesurfer
   $> ls -l license.txt

-Zeke