Hi,

I just wanted to post back the problem was solved (Thanks Doug). The
solution is this:

1. use mri_aparc2aseg
mri_aparc2aseg --s $SUBJECT --o <filename>.mgz --annot <annot_name>
--annot-table <clut_file>

[Note, in my case I was using 3 different values, 1, 2, 3 for the
labels with only left hemisphere labels (the details will change for
people with different label numbers etc.)]
2. read in the resulting file (python or matlab: pick your poison).
set all voxels less than 1001 to 0, set all voxels greater than 1003
to 0, remap voxels with value 1001 to 1, 1002 to 2 1003 to 3.

Now you are done and can load with your clut file.

hth