Hi Martin

there is no easy answer to this question. Basically, the optimal
smoothing filter depends on the size of the effect you are looking for
(the so-called "matched-filter theorem"). IN general, if you have bigger
groups of subjects and/or expect focal differences use a smaller kernel.

Sorry I don't have better advice to give than that