To check whether the orientation is correct, you can view it in freeview or tkmedit. When you click on the axial view it should show up axially, etc. Though you cannot tell whether it is left-right reversed this way. You cannot feed it a matrix, but you can specify the direction cosines on the mri_convert command line (-iid, -ijd, -ikd). You'll have to play with it a bit. You can also try giving it an orientation string instead. if you run mri_convert without any options, then it will give you lots of documentation.