Hi Bronwyn,

You raise a good point. You can consider creating a cortical mask using
aparc+aseg.mgz and use that to mask the networks.

However, another approach (which might be more accurate) is to take
cortical networks in fsaverage space and transform to your subject's
surface and then transform into your subject's volume:

# Transform from fsaverage to subject's surface
>> mri_surf2surf --srcsubject fsaverage --trgsubject yoursubject --hemi lh
--sval-annot *lh.Yeo2011_17Networks_N1000.annot*  --tval
$SUBJECTS_DIR/yoursubject/label/*lh.Yeo_17Network_native.annot*

# Transform from subject's surface into your subject's volume (I am not
super sure about this. You probably want to double check the output is
correct)
>> *mri_label2vol --annot lh.Yeo2011_17Networks_N1000.HS_001.annot **--o
outfile.nii.gz --hemi lh --subject HS_001 **--regheader*

--Thomas