the mean across both lh.cortex.label and rh.cortex.label should be pretty close. If you want it to be exact you should weight by area then normalize
On Sat, 25 Jun 2016, Nabin Koirala wrote:

Dear Bruce,
Thank you for the response. So, I more thing if I want to get the mean
cortical thickness for whole brain I could simply take the mean between both
hemisphere ? If I understood right from the FAQ.

  Q. I am trying to measure the global mean cortical thickness (i.e
  combined across hemispheres), how would I do this?

A: One suggestion is to use the surface area of each hemisphere as the
weighting factor. In which case the global mean thickness including both
hemispheres would be given by:

bh.thickness = ( (lh.thickness * lh.surfarea) + (rh.thickness * rh.surfarea)
) / (lh.surfarea + rh.surfarea)

If you use the values in the ?h.aparc.stats, it already factors out the
'unknown' region, so you don't have to do it yourself.

Regards,

Nabin

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 3:29 PM, Bruce Fischl <fis...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>