Ubuntu 16 comes with a version of perl that is compatible with the MNI
tools shipped with the version of freesurfer you are using.

The easiest way to remedy the situation is to download and install the
development version of freesurfer which fixes this issue and will be
included in the upcoming 6.0 release (see "Development Version"):

   https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/DownloadAndInstall

-Zeke