From: freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
[freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu] on behalf of Knut J Bjuland
[knutjor...@outlook.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 5:35 AM
To: Freesurfer support list
Subject: [Freesurfer] obtain fa FA data from the white matter ROIs in
WMParcStatsLUT.txt. or FreeSurferColorLUT.txt.

Hi,

I would like to to obtain FA data from the white matter ROIs in
WMParcStatsLUT.txt. or FreeSurferColorLUT.txt. So would it work to coregister a
DWI file, either produced by  dt_recon (or perhaps better - from Tracula) and
an anatomy file in atlas space and then use WMParcStatsLUT.txt or
FreeSurferColorLUT.txt  (not sure which) to obtain the wm ROIs containing FA
data. And then register the aparc+aseg.mgz to the FA image and use mri_segstats
to retrieve FA data from the white matter ROIs.

I have done this:
# Register DTI file to individual anatomy space
1) dt_recon --i 1/dti/1.dcm --s 001 --b 1/dti/bval 1/dti/bvec --o 1/dtrecon

# Register fa.nii to wmparc.mgz and aparc+aseg.mgz
2)
mri_vol2vol --mov 1/dtrecon/fa.nii --reg 1/dtrecon/register.dat --targ
001v4/mri/wmparc.mgz       --inv --interp nearest --o 1/mri/aseg2DTI.mgz
   --no-save-reg
mri_vol2vol --mov 1/dtrecon/fa.nii --reg 1/dtrecon/register.dat --targ
001v4/mri/aparc+aseg.mgz --inv --interp nearest --o 1/mri/aparc-aseg2DTI.mgz
--no-save-reg

3) It works for wmparc, in that I get data that range from 0.0 to 0.4 with mean
= 0.04 (which is a little low for FA values):
mri_segstats --seg 1/mri/wmparc2DTI.mgz --ctab
/usr/local/freesurfer/FreeSurferColorLUT.txt --id 3014 --i   1/dtrecon/fa.nii
--sum fa.stats_wm-lh-medialorbitofrontal

But for aparc+aseg, it doesn't produce any data:
mri_segstats --seg 1/mri/aparc-aseg2DTI.mgz --ctab
/usr/local/freesurfer/FreeSurferColorLUT.txt --id 3014 --i   1/dtrecon/fa.nii
--sum fa.stats_wm-lh-medialorbitofrontal

output:
Found   1 segmentations
Computing statistics for each segmentation
  0   3014          wm-lh-medialorbitofrontal       0       0.000

Reporting on   0 segmentations
mri_segstats done

Questions:
1) Am I right to use FreeSurferColorLUT.txt   and not WMParcStatsLUT.txt?
2) In order to get FA data from the wm regions corresponding to cortical ROIs,
should I use the FA registrated to wmparc.mgz  or aparc+aseg.mgz?
3) If I want to use Tracula DTI files instead, which file do I choose: Is it
FA_ditifit.nii?

sincerely yours,

Knut Jørgen Bjuland PhD