Hi FreeSurfer team,

My lab is looking at longitudinal data across 5 time points for each subject.
All of our time points have been edited in version 5.1 for consistency.
However, I have run into an issue when trying to create the bases for these
subjects in this version due to a memory allocation problem. It appears that
5.1 cannot allocate enough memory to store the temporary files for each of
these time points and consequently errors out during the registration stage
with this message:

Iteration(f): 2terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  St9bad_alloc

I also tried creating the base using a memory flag (-m) to allocate more memory
but had no luck in those attempts.

I tried creating the base in version 5.3 and this ran successfully. However,
because this is a longitudinal data set ran in version 5.1, it's problematic
that the jobs crash in 5.1.

Is there anyway to allocate sufficient memory in 5.1?

Thank you,

Allison Rainford
Research Study Assistant
Cognitive Neurology and Alzheimer's Disease Center
Northwestern University
320 East Superior Street
Searle 11-579
Chicago, Illinois 60611