Sorry about the delay. The jacobian factor accounts for stretching or
compression when transferring the data from the individual to the group.
This makes sure that the total volume after conversion is the same as
before (this is not needed for thickness but it is for surface area). If
you are going to do a volume analysis, it is usually a good idea to
scale the the estimated total intracranial volume (eTIV). We did a group
interhemispheric volume analysis here:

Greve, Douglas N., Lise Van der Haegen, Qing Cai, Steven Stufflebeam,
Mert R. Sabuncu, Bruce Fischl, and Marc Bysbaert. "A surface-based
analysis of language lateralization and cortical asymmetry." (2013).
Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience 25.9: 1477-1492.

On 01/18/2017 02:30 PM, Ritobrato Datta wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> The email below probably fell through the cracks so I am resending it.
> Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.
>
> Best
>
> Ri

Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.
MGH-NMR Center