There's 2 problems:

1) Do not include the "$>". That is just a symbol representing the
beginning of the command line.

2) <source_freesurfer> is meant to be a generic term for the process of
defining your FREESURFER_HOME environment variable and sourcing the
setup script. On your macOS system this would be the following two steps:

   $> export FREESURFER_HOME=/Applications/freesurfer
   $> source $FREESURFER_HOME/SetUpFreeSurfer.sh

This only needs to be done once when opening the terminal window.