What is the appropriate size for a surface based seed?

I am referencing a study with volumetric based seeds with spheres with a radius
of 3mm (in fMRI data). I would like to do a similar study using surface based
representations. In a volumetric based analysis folding may actually increase
the amount of cortical surface represented in a sphere. Using a circle on the
surface with a 3 mm radius therefore would not be the same. But…. is the
difference so minimal and variable across the cortex that it is not worth
considering especially since the seeds are derived from published work and not
using a localizer?

Do you know of any published guidelines on generating seed sizes in surface
based models, not based on a localizer.
Or is this the completely wrong approach? Should I be using the tal coordinates
to locate which parcellation of the available atlases that the seed was located
in? (for example i have a fusiform face area seed which I have set as a circle
3mm radius)

many thanks for your continued help
Erik