Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] manual edits
Local Time: April 12, 2017 11:04 AM
UTC Time: April 12, 2017 3:04 PM
From: seman...@nyspi.columbia.edu
To: John Anderson <john.ande...@protonmail.com>, freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
<freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>

Hi John,

Yes understanding how freesurfer deals with edits can be a bit confusing. I
have a lot of experience doing edits to the wm.mgz and brainmask.mgz for cross
sectional data in Freesurfer 5.3 so perhaps I can help.

Recon-all is basically a script which runs a series of about 25 or so
processing steps in a defined sequence. The software generally will be able to
recognize when an edit has been done at a particular intervention point and
will take those edits into account when running that step unless you
specifically instruct it not to.

The most common types of edits are edits to the wm.mgz to fix white matter
defects and tissue incorrectly identified as white matter, and edits to the
brainmask.mgz to fix cases where the skull strip is insufficient to prevent
dura and other non-cortical tissue from making it into the gray matter/pial
surfaces. White matter edits need to be done directly on the wm.mgz and gray
matter/skull strip edits need to be done on the brainmask.mgz. Editing those
two files and saving them directly in freeview is sufficient to register those
edits for recon-all.

If you have edited only the brainmask.mgz, it is sufficient to run
–autorecon-pial since the white matter surfaces will not need to be
regenerated. If you have edited the wm.mgz, you must run –autorecon2-wm (or
–autorecon2-cp if you used control points as well as white matter edits). If
you have edited both the brainmask.mgz and the wm.mgz, then you only need to
run –autorecon2-wm since the pial surfaces will be regenerated taking into
account the brainmask.mgz edits as part of that workflow. Keep in mind that you
still need to run –autorecon3 to complete the reprocessing of these data
(-autorecon-pial includes the steps from –autorecon3) but that can be done when
you are happy with your final surfaces if you want to save processing time on
iterative edits.

Here is the wiki page referring to edits:
https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/FsTutorial/TroubleshootingData

I hope this is helpful.

Best,

David P. Semanek, HCISPP

Research Technician, Posner Lab

Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry

Columbia University Medical Center

New York State Psychiatric Institute

1051 Riverside Drive, Pardes Bldg. Rm. 2424

New York, NY 10032

PH: (646) 774-5885

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail is meant only for the use of the intended
recipient. It may contain confidential information which is legally privileged
or otherwise protected by law. If you received this e-mail in error or from
someone who was not authorized to send it to you, you are strictly prohibited
from reviewing, using, disseminating, distributing or copying the e-mail.
PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-MAIL AND DELETE THIS
MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM. Thank you for your cooperation.