Dear FreeSurfer,

We have been discussing the mean curvature provided by FreeSurfer software. As
i understand the mean curvature is measured as 1/r and has a unit of 1/mm.

But

a) What is the curvature an expression of? Is it the degree of folding of the
brain and is it the white matter surface or pial surface?
b) An increased value of mean curvature - does that mean an increase in folding
of the brain?
c) What is the expected association between the mean curvature; and cortical
thickness and surface area? Any suggestions of litterature?

I have read through two webpages below, but unfortunately the confusion still
exist :-)

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MeanCurvature.html
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GaussianCurvature.html

I am aware that this may be a simple question but the different measures of
curvature (fx. gaussian vs mean curvature) made us discuss the differences and
what it is an expression of.

Best regards,
Kasper