Thanks Matt! Does rawfunc2surf-sess create the surface and smooth?

From:
<freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu<mailto:freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>>
 on behalf of Matt Glasser <m...@ma-tea.com<mailto:m...@ma-tea.com>>
Date: Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 1:39 PM
To: Freesurfer support list
<freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu<mailto:freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>>
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] volume vs surface-based and surface smoothing

Volume-based registration is fine with subject as you have the same brain that
you are registering (ideally such registrations are 6 DOF rigid registrations
and any image distortions are corrected for).  Surface-based registration is
better when comparing across subjects due to the variability in cortical
folding patterns and locations of areas relative to folds across subjects.
Smoothing is best done on the surface if it is done at all.  Smoothing in the
volume harms one’s spatial localization precision much more than smoothing on
the surface for an equivalent FWMH in mm.  It is worth keeping in mind that
smoothing on the surface does still blur across cortical areal boundaries,
however, so for many analyses it may be better to average within cortical areas
rather than to smooth a lot.

Peace,

Matt.

From: