Dear FreeSurfer users,

I'm using FS 6.0. I registered MRI scans to the CVS-Avg35 template
(mri_cvs_register) and viewed output. While the nonlinear warp of the scan to
the template looked completely fine, the warping of the automatic segmentation
(aseg) did not look as "clean".

Attached is a snapshot of the subject's "aseg" warped to the cvs template:
"ASEG_final_CVSmorphend_tocvs-avg35.png". Also attached is a snapshot at the
same slice of the ASEG of the CVS template (shipped with FS):
"ASEG_template-cvs-avg35.png".

This subject's "aseg" warped to CVS is typical of others in my sample. The aseg
look completely fine in their respective anat spaces. The aseg warped to CVS
looks splotchy.

Is the splotchiness in a subject's ASEG warped to CVS template inevitable due
to how registration works? With smoothing, I imagine it would look much nicer
and would be almost entire in line with the ASEG of the template.

As such, is it recommended that one smooth spatial maps registered to CVS
template when running GLM over measures like Apparent Diffusion Coefficient
(ADC) or Fractional Anisotropy (FA)?

Thank you.

Best,

Chintan