sorry for the delay ...

You will definitely need to change the contrast values so that the
positives and negatives both add to the same number (with opposite
sign). It is a bit of a judgement call in terms of removing them
entirely. With an unbalanced design, you cannot remove the fixed effect
of that particular site, and reviewer might object to that. I would
probably run it both with and without to see if it really makes a
difference. You could also test the significance of the other site
effects and, if they are not sig, then argue that the site effect is small.