External Email - Use Caution

Hi Alex,

I am also running FreeSurfer 6.0.0 on SLURM and recently did some tests on how
to parallelize it, how much ressources to ask for… This is what I learned:

1)      FreeSurfer 6.0.0 is able to use OpenMP parallelization (I guess for the
commands mri_em_register, mri_ca_register and mri_ca label used in the steps
Skull Stripping, EM registration, CA reg and Subcortical registration).
2)      From Version 6.0.0 FreeSurfer is also able to process the two
hemispheres in parallel instead of sequentially (steps 16 – 30).

Taking advantage of these changes reduces processing time dramatically. If I
use 4 CPU per task on SLURM instead of 1 the processing time drops form around
8 hours to around 4 or 4 ½ hours. Increasing the CPU per task did not improve
processing time much though, so to save a bit CPU time now use 4 CPU regularly.
I don’t know if you have to submit your jobs exactly the same way but a typical
job file for me looks like this:

#!/bin/bash
#SBATCH --time=10:00:00
#SBATCH --output=/your_working_directory/job-%j.out
#SBATCH --error=/your_working_directory/job-%j.err
#SBATCH --nodes=1
#SBATCH --ntasks=1
#SBATCH --tasks-per-node=1
#SBATCH --cpus-per-task=4
#SBATCH --partition=haswell
#SBATCH --mem-per-cpu=2500
#SBATCH -A your_project_name

module load modenv/eb
module load FreeSurfer
source $FREESURFER_HOME/SetUpFreeSurfer.sh

export SUBJECTS_DIR=/your_subjects_directory

   recon-all -s your_subject_ID -all -parallel -openmp 4

Of course you can just add the –hippocampal-subfields-T1 tag flag your command.
I found that asking for 2500 MB works just fine for 4CPU per task (as the 2500
is multiplied times 4 in this case). The maximum RAM was about 7000 KB for my
jobs.
Just make sure you add the” -parallel -openmp 4” flag to your command line AND
“#SBATCH --cpus-per-task=4” to your job file, otherwise the parallelization
will not work.

Hope this helps! Get back to me if you have any more questions!

Best,
Lea

Lea Backhausen
Research Assistant

Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine of the TU
Dresden, Germany
http://www.uniklinikum-dresden.de

Message: 5