External Email - Use Caution

Sorry Douglas,

hereafter you can find previous emails

Regards
Lucia

Dear Douglas,
thanks a lot. This can solve my problem. Could you please give my some
explanations about how to open and use the tool?

Thanks
Regards
Lucia

mri_surfcluster only works for surfaces (that's what the "surf" in the
name means). If you want the centroid of a volume ROI use
https://gate.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/safelinks/greve/mri_segcentroids
<https://gate.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/safelinks/greve/mri_segcentroids>

Dear Bruce,

the ROI appears correct in freeview. However I have a problem in the following
step, i.e. obtain the centroid of the ROi.

I used the following command:

mri_surfcluster --in
/Applications/freesurfer/subjects/fsaverage/surf/lh.thickness --clabel
./tests_label/sub/lh.amygdala.label --sum ./tests_label/sum/sum.lh.amygdala
--centroid --thmin 0 --hemi lh --subject fsaverage —nofixmni

However it doesn’t work for subcortical label files (it works with cortical
ones). I have the following output and the command doesn’t produce the file
sum.lh.amygdala:

thsign = abs, id = 0
version $Id: mri_surfcluster.c,v 1.57.2.3 2016/11/17 18:19:42 zkaufman Exp $
hemi           = lh
srcid          = /Applications/freesurfer/subjects/fsaverage/surf/lh.thickness
srcsubjid      = fsaverage
srcsurf        = white
srcframe       = 0
thsign         = abs
thmin          = 0
thmax          = -1
fdr            = -1
minarea        = 0
xfmfile        = talairach.xfm
clabelfile     = ./tests_label/sub/lh.amygdala.label
clabelinv      = 0
nth         = -1
sumfile  = ./tests_label/sum/sum.lh.amygdala
subjectsdir    = /Applications/freesurfer/subjects
FixMNI = 0
Found 1941 points in clabel.
------------- XFM matrix (RAS2RAS) ---------------
/Applications/freesurfer/subjects/fsaverage/mri/transforms/talairach.xfm
 1.00000   0.00000   0.00000   0.00000;
 0.00000   1.00000   0.00000   0.00000;
 0.00000   0.00000   1.00000   0.00000;
 0.00000   0.00000   0.00000   1.00000;
Reading source surface /Applications/freesurfer/subjects/fsaverage/surf/lh.white
Done reading source surface
Computing metric properties
/Applications/freesurfer/bin/mri_surfcluster: line 3:  2828 Bus error: 10
    mri_surfcluster.bin "$@"

Maybe because lh.thickness is only for cortical regions? In this case, how can
I obtain centroids of subcortical ROIs?

Thanks
Regards
Lucia

Hi Lucia

the first column being -1 means that it is not mapped to the surface, so is
correct in your (subcortical) case. Try loading the label as an ROI in freeview
and see if it is correct

Hi Lucia

the first column being -1 means that it is not mapped to the surface, so is
correct in your (subcortical) case. Try loading the label as an ROI in freeview
and see if it is correct

Dear Brouce,

thanks again.
I would like exactly how to set mri_vol2label for subcortical regions as the
way I used give me all the values of the first column equal to -1. This is a
problem when I want to obtain obtain the centroid of the ROI using
mri_surfcluster as I get an empty file.

Hope Doug can help me.

Thanks
Lucia

Hi Lucia

can you cc the list so others can answer? You can't get a surface-based label
for a subcortical region as they aren't on (or close) to the surrface. I think
mri_vol2label is the right binary to create a volumetric ROI for each one, but
Doug will know

Dear Freesurfer Experts,

I want to use mri_vol2label to obtain labels for subcortical regions.

I tried the following command:

mri_vol2label --c $SUBJECTS_DIR/fsaverage/mri/aseg.mgz --id 8 --l
./tests_label/8.label

However I get the same vertex index for all the row, equal to -1:

-1  -14.000  -92.000  -31.000 0.0000000000
-1  -17.000  -92.000  -31.000 0.0000000000
-1  -18.000  -92.000  -31.000 0.0000000000

This happens for all the regions I selected.

I have also tried adding the option —surf, as you suggested in previous posts:

mri_vol2label --c $SUBJECTS_DIR/fsaverage/mri/aseg.mgz --id 8 --l
./tests_label/8.label --surf fsaverage lh white

But I have the following error message:

ERROR: dim mismatch between surface (163842) and input (16777216)

Could you please help me?

Thanks a lot in advance
Best regards
Lucia Billeci

Dr. Lucia Billeci, PhD
Institute of Clinical Physiology (IFC) National Research Council (CNR)
via Moruzzi 1, 56124, Pisa, Italy
e-mail: lucia.bill...@ifc.cnr.it