External Email - Use Caution

Hi Lara,
A little trick you can do (it shouldn’t be too hard to implement in Matlab with
the functions in $FREESURFER_HOME/matlab)
For each subject:
1. make a copy of aseg.mgz
2. create a binary mask for your edited hippocampi.
3. in aseg.mgz, replace each voxel labeled as hippo by the label of the
closest, non-hippocampal structure.
4. Paint your hippocampi from step 2 on the hippocampal-less aseg.
I hope this helps,
/Eugenio

--
Juan Eugenio Iglesias
ERC Senior Research Fellow

On 13/06/2018, 17:18, "freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu on behalf of Lara
Foland-Ross" <freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu on behalf of
lfol...@stanford.edu> wrote:

            External Email - Use Caution

    Hello,

    I am running an analysis of hippocampus volume on a set of T1-weighted
scans with 1mm^3 isotropic resolution. Due to flow and other artifacts, a
moderate degree of manual editing was required to correct the boundaries of
each subject's hippocampus.

    Final volumes of manually edited hippocampi were submitted to a repeated
measures ANOVA which showed a significant main effect of diagnosis on the
overall size of this structure (controlling for age and TBV).

    We recently submitted this paper and just received a request from a
reviewer that asked that we run a subfield analysis on these data to better
understand the regions driving this overall effect.

    What I'd like to know is: would the subfield approach *not* be recommended
on this dataset considering that artifacts necessitated a good deal of manual
intervention for the entire region? Second, if it a subfield approach *is* okay
to run on these data, how can I feed in my manually edited volumes to ensure
that the corrected segmentations of the entire hippocampus is used during
subfield creation?

    thanks very much in advance!
    Lara

    Lara Foland-Ross, Ph.D.
    Research Associate and Imaging Lab Manager
    Center for Interdisciplinary Brain Sciences Research
    Stanford University School of Medicine
    401 Quarry Road, Room 1356
    Stanford, CA 94305-5795

e-mail
HelpLine at
    http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in
error
    but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and
properly