Hi Vasudev, if you're using freesurfer 6.0 or the development version, you can
update the recon-all makefile by running the following (this might require
sudo):

cd $FREESURFER_HOME/bin
mv recon-all.makefile recon-all.makefile.backup
curl
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/freesurfer/freesurfer/dev/scripts/recon-all.makefile
 -o recon-all.makefile
chmod +x recon-all.makefile

Now, you should be able to successfully use the "-make all" flag with
recon-all, which will start it from where it was terminated.

best
Andrew