External Email - Use Caution

Hello Steve,
We have run the freesurfer 6.0.0 release on Ubuntu 16 and 18 which should also
work in a VM.

You may have to install some packages in order to run freesurfer, especially
for the freeview program which uses various graphics packages, etc.  After
downloading the freesurfer 6.0.0 binaries from,
https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/pub/dist/freesurfer/6.0.0/freesurfer-Linux-centos6_x86_64-stable-pub-v6.0.0.tar.gz
- I would first try to run the freeview binary as that is a good test to help
determine what packages may be missing.
I needed to both build and run freesurfer on Ubuntu, so I will list below the
packages I installed for both purposes.  You should not need for example
the gcc compiler packages just to run the 6.0.0 release binaries, but I have
not tried to identify a set of packages to only run the binaries.
You will likely also need sudo privileges to install packages.
- R.
     $ sudo apt-get install build-essential     $
sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dev freeglut3-dev mesa-common-dev
 $ sudo apt-get install libblas-dev liblapack-dev     $
sudo apt-get install ocl-icd-opencl-dev     $ sudo apt-get
install libxmu-dev libxi-dev     $ sudo apt-get install
libopencv-dev      Ubuntu 16:  $ sudo apt-get install
gcc-4.9 g++-4.9 gfortran-4.9     Ubuntu 18:  $ sudo apt-get
install gcc-4.8 g++-4.8 gfortran-4.8     $ sudo apt-get install
xorg xorg-dev libx11-dev     $ sudo apt-get install tcl tcl-dev
tk tk-dev     $ sudo apt-get install qt5-default qtcreator
   $ sudo apt-get install libqt5x11extras5-dev     $
sudo apt-get install git-annex      $ sudo apt-get install
python3-dev
    … you will need a libpng, which I got from the archives,

  http://se.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/libp/libpng/libpng12-0_1.2.54-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    $ curl -O
 http://se.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/libp/libpng/libpng12-0_1.2.54-1ubuntu1_amd64..deb
   - then install the gdebi tool,
    $ sudo  apt install gdebi
    - change directories to where you downloaded the libpng12
package, and use gdebi to install it,
    $ sudo  gdebi  libpng12-0_1.2.54-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb

On May 31, 2019, at 02:57, Steve Petersen <marfne...@gmail.com>
wrote:        External Email - Use
Caution        Dear Freesurfer
experts, Just a simple question, is possible to install the Freesurfer
(Version 6) in a virtual machine of ubuntu?Thanks in advance,Best
regards,Steve_______________________________________________Freesurfer mailing