External Email - Use Caution

Hello all,

To create surfaces for a sheep brain using Freesurfer version 5.3 I previously
used, mris_make_surfaces -mgz -noaparc -aseg filled -T1 brain.finalsurfs $subj
rh, and it worked great.

Running the same command using version 6
(freesurfer-Darwin-OSX-stable-pub-v6.0.0-2beb96c) I get this error:
“…
generating cortex label...
1 non-cortical segments detected
only using segment with 71880 vertices
LabelErode: NULL label
No such file or directory
LabelDilate: NULL label
No such file or directory
Segmentation fault: 11”

When changing the command to ( mris_make_surfaces -mgz -noaparc -noaseg -T1
brain.finalsurfs $subj rh ) it runs without error. However, the result is
clearly not as good - the pial surface looks like a slightly extended/inflated
white surface. This is also true for a brain that worked perfectly with version
5.3.

From the error I am guessing that labels in filled (127 and 255) are not those
required. Is it (still) possible to use filled.mgz as the input to -aseg in
mris_make_surfaces? Is it perhaps possible to modify the label numbers in
filled.mgz to get this working again?

Thanks,
Scott