Hi David,

nobody can really tell you what will happen if you use the software outside its
tested use cases. 5mm thick slices, with tumor resection is not what it has
been designed to work with. And as I said, gad enhanced also not. It might give
you meaningful results or not. The only way to find out is to try it and make
sure to carefully inspect the segmentation visually (in all three views). Don’t
be fooled by the nice looking within-plane images. They are smooth averages
across 5mm. Missing resolution in the 3rd direction will allow you do only
detect large volume changes due to loss of sensitivity. How much you loose is
unclear.

Best, Martin

> [...]
>>
>> I am not very optimistic:
>>
>> 5mm is too thick for FreeSurfer (recommendation is 1 up to 1.5). You
>> will certainly get something, but it can be very unreliable and
>> completely wrong. Especially longitudinally these thick slices will
>> induce large variance due to different head positioning (and different
>> slice angulations) in the scanner.
>>
>> Furthermore, FreeSurfer does not take Gad-Enhanced images. Also it will
>> not work if tumor lesions are present.
>>
>> About your questions:
>>
>> 1. Surfaces update the aseg, but if you are only interested in the
>> volumes, you can skip this expensive step (potentially at the cost of
>> slightly higher noise levels in your measurements).
>>
>> 2. I think not (see above). 5mm is too low.
>>
>> 3. Theoretically yes, but I have never tested if the scripts will do
>> it. You could run up to the aseg in the cross, then create base (up to
>> aseg) and then run the longs up to aseg. Not even sure you really need
>> the base aseg. You might be able to just run the initial base
>> registration step, obtain the transformations and median norm.mgz
>> image, could be sufficient for the long runs.
>>
>> 4. No. Gad images won't work.
>>
>> Best, Martin
>>

>>>        External Email - Use Caution
>>> Freesurfers,
>>>
>>> First of all, I'd like to express my gratitude to the community for
>>> the support that keeps researchers like myself afloat!
>>>

>>> I have a unique set of oncology patients that I want to evaluate for
>>> brain atrophy in a retrospective longitudinal analysis.
>>> I was thinking about using Aseg.auto results to assess longitudinal
>>> volume changes, but before I invest all the time I wanted to check
>>> with the community whether this makes any sense at all:
>>>
>>> The dataset that looks like this:
>>> - 22 patients (no control dataset [yet])
>>> - 10-25 MRIs per patient acquired over 2-8 years in relatively
>>> uniform intervals
>>> - Patients had most of their scans on the same scanner, but
>>> scanners differed widely between patients
>>> - All patients have axial T1 post gadolinium scans of 1x1x5mm
>>> resolution (3D acquisition available in <10%)
>>> - About 80% of scans have an axial pre-contrast T1 sequence
>>> - All scans are skullstripped (third party algorithm)
>>>
>>> I'm looking for crude changes, no subtleties; volumes of interest
>>> are:
>>> - Whole brain volume
>>> - White matter volume
>>> - Ventricular volume (mainly lateral ventricle)
>>> - Subcortical gray matter volume (whole thalamus most importantly)
>>>
>>> I ran a few test analyses and to my surprise I was able to generate
>>> pretty acceptable surfaces, however, topology fixing took about 24H
>>> per scan, and I feel aseg.auto contained all the volumetric data I
>>> was really interested in.
>>>
>>> My concrete questions are:
>>> 1) Does the full autorecon pipeline affect Aseg.auto? If there is no
>>> benefit, I could reduce the per scan analysis time from 28 hours to
>>> 2) Would this low-resolution dataset be accepted by reviewers if used