External Email - Use Caution

Hello Guodong,

On Mi, 2019-11-06 at 11:28 +0800, Liu Guodong wrote:
>         External Email - Use Caution
>
> Hi Kersten,
>
> Thank you so much for the reply and that helps a lot.
>
> There are still some questions that I hope you can help me.
>
> 1.For the first model in you last email, you said 'To get the
> mean for group B, one would need to add the beta weights of the two
> regressors.’. I wonder if the beta weights should be 1 for
> regressors1 and 1 for regressor2, and the mean for group B is
> regressor2 plus regressor1 with the condition the value of group B is
> bigger than group A.

I am not sure if I understand correctly, but I suppose what you have in
mind is the contrast weights rather than the beta weights.

With beta weights I am referring to the parameters estimated by the
model (beta values), so you can't specify those. With contrast weights
I am referring to the elements of the contrast vector or matrix (often
0, +1, or -1). These are specified by the user and are used to create
weighted sums or differences of the beta weights, which in turn are
evaluated for statistical significance.

In the first model for the t-test that we discussed in the previous
mail, the hypothesis that B>A would be assessed by a contrast vector
like [ 0 +1 ], assuming that the first regressor is the intercept and
the second regressor codes 1 for group B and 0 for group A.

Keep in mind that in multi-variable regression models, the
interpretation of (sums or differences) of parameter estimates is
conditional on all other estimates being zero. So in a longitudinal
model, for example, it is not the overall mean of e.g. A or B, but the
mean at time zero.

> 2.Is there any P-value for the lme_fit_FS function to present the
> quality of the fitting?

No, not really. I also don't think that goodness of fit would be
assessed by means of a p-value / hypothesis test, but rather by
computing the R^2 statistic. For the LME tools, this needs to be
calculated manually, I believe.

> 3.As you said before, if I have 3 group A,B,C for this model, and
> group A is reference group, the regressor1 is the mean of group A,
> and regressor2 and 3 reflect the difference between group A and B,C.
> But if I want to know the difference between B and C, what should I
> do. From the F-test, there only have a P-value to reflect how
> different between group B and C, I wonder can I compute a value the
> same as regressor 2 to reflect the difference?

To get the difference between two non-reference groups, you would
specify a 'difference contrast', which has -1 and +1 at the appropriate
columns, and zeros otherwise.

Best regards,

Kersten