By default, optseq2 assumes that you want to perform an FIR analysis where you get an average for each post-stimulus time point so that you can create a waveform. This is in contrast to assuming the shape to the hemodyn respnse where you only estimate a single value (the amplitude). By default, the time between FIR waveform points is the TR, but you can perform sub-TR estimation by setting the dPSD to less than the TR. The problem is that every estimate you make reduces the efficienecy. So, assuming a shape is more efficient than an FIR because it only has one estimate. An FIR with dPDS=TR is more efficient than dPSD=TR/2 because there are half as many estimates. Probably when you go to analyze the data you will use an assumed shape, and then you will get the efficiency back.