External Email - Use Caution

Hello Alek,
When you say you are running Ubuntu 14 via a Windows 10 PC, do you mean you are
running the add-on windows subsystem for linux (known as WSL) that allows you
run an Ubuntu shell on Windows 10?    And then when you say you are
remotely viewing things, does that mean you are remotely logging into that
Windows machine?
If you are in fact using WSL, then for X Window based GUI application like
Freeview to run in WSL, you need to have an X server installed and running on
the windows side, e.g., Xming.  Then WSL can send X windows based graphics
from the Linux shell back to Xming on the Windows side for rendering..
 But  Windows OS has to be able to handle rendering the graphics thru
Xming using the drivers for whatever the graphics card/hardware is (which could
include a GPU).
If you look at this thread for the same error you posted, but on a pure linux
desktop, https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9769613/x-error-badalloc-glx-badcontext-on-intelsandybridge-intel-hd-graphics-3000,
 it reads to me like this may have been solved by updating the *mesa* libraries
in linux which support displaying graphics (directly on the linux OS driving
the graphics card).  Translating this to the Windows WSL environment
however - it would seem the same error could be from the graphics received by
the X-server on the Windows side not being compatible/supported by the graphics
drivers/hardware there.  It might also have something to do with how the
X-server is configured.
I don’t have much experience with WSL, but I would think that in the Ubuntu
linux shell you’d want to set display for the console,
$ export DISPLAY=:0
Then it sounds like that /usr/bin/xeyes or other *simple* X programs already
get displayed correctly,
$ /usr/bin/xeyes
Do you get the same error if you run a simple freeview command to open a single
volume, e..g.
$ freeview $FREESURFER_HOME/subjects/bert/mri/brain.mgz
I would try the above directly on the windows machine (not remotely
logged in).
- R.
On Mar 11, 2020, at 10:46, Duvnjak, Aleksandar
<aleksandar.duvnja...@imperial.ac.uk>
wrote:        External Email - Use
Caution        Dear FreeSurfer
experts,Version: Freesurfer version 6.0Platform: Ubuntu 14.04 (Via a Windows 10
PC) Upon completion of our first FreeSurfer job, in which we ran an array
on ~50 subjects, we have tried to view the basic outputs (e.g. T1.mgz) using
both freeview -v and FSLview. Upon running freeview -v, the app opens but shows
no discernible image (see screengrab below). Upon exiting the viewing
platform the command line reads: X Error: GLXBadContext 150
Extension:    143 (Uknown extension)  Minor opcode: 5 (Unknown
request)  Resource id:  0x8000c8I have found reference to this error
in the archives
at: https://www.mail-archive..com/freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/msg30865.html and
 much like with this original query, we are running freeview remotely via a
high-performace-computing system, and when we type glxgears at the command line
spinning gears do popup. Furthermore, (and although this does not relate
directly to Freesurfer, it may provide additional useful information) upon
trying to view the same T1.mgz file with FSLview rather than freeview we
receive the message "missing header/image file" within the viewer but no error
in the command line. We appreciate this may be a simple solution, however
as it is our first time running FreeSurfer, it is difficult to know how to
proceed. I have attached the recon-all report log for the subject attempting to
be viewed in the screengrab below.<pastedImagebase640.png>Kind
regards,Aleks
Duvnjak<recon-all.log>_______________________________________________Freesurfer
 mailing
listfreesur...@nmr.mgh.harvard.eduhttps://mail.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/freesurfer