You can move the surface around in freeview. Under Tools->RepositionSurface. Change "Intensity" to "Coordinate", then Shift+Left click near the surface to select the point on the surface you want to move (ie, the vertex), then Shift+Ctrol+Left to click on the location you want it to move to, then hit Apply. When it is the way you like it, save the surface. Note that recon-all will not notice this change and so will over-write it if you re-run recon-all. The next version will have a way to incorporate this into recon-all.