External Email - Use Caution

Forwarding Koen's and my answers

________________________________
From: Koen Van Leemput <leem...@gmail.com>
Sent: 01 February 2021 10:22
To: Stefano Cerri
Cc: David Kamson
Subject: Re: SAMSEG questions

Hi Stefano and David,

Regarding GPU/tensorflow issues, Andrew recommended running

  fspython -c 'import tensorflow'

to diagnose what the problem is.

Koen

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 3:04 AM Stefano Cerri <s...@dtu.dk<mailto:s...@dtu.dk>>
wrote:

Hi David,

1a) It depends on what analysis you are doing, but in general I would correct
with SBTIV the longitudinal analysis as well.

1b) I assume you are computing volumes on the seg.mgz file with 3D slicer. The
samseg.stats file is computed from "soft segmentations", i.e. probabilistic
maps of each individual structure. These maps can be obtained by adding the
flag --save-posteriors.

1c) This file is a scaling factor to obtain a certain average intensity in a
target structure. It is used later on in the FreeSurfer pipeline for creating
the wm mask and surfaces. It is unrelated to volume analysis/correction.

2) On this page
(http://secure-web.cisco.com/1VcMQfGu6N_o0lPCGE8rKcisZZBWi7SnvF0e_eGMHnEZteuuyFGC1JWikLxqIPBcAWp5JqL_smf-VaF4qhjiWViKn9qxcnCkxg7GAyYSFXefq67wcJIem-hW6vYV_JtLGorQG1zwzl6AyNPHCiUG9pYrsO-ez2hRqRKImnUSzS3tU62LCoX36sBrLvWhL4S0KbHH3vhX19mVCKe2ClTR6vfDbNaYBx_v8DpbvzM3phbF1IwJ126NTjj6mDCBAU1COLWVpT56iKTaVgMl4PjYAmQ/http%3A%2F%2Ffreesurfer.net%2Ffswiki%2FDownloadAndInstall)
 there is a link for downloading the development version. Installation is then
similar to Freesurfer 7.1, you just need to change the name of the downloaded
file. Remember that it is essential to process all your subjects with the same
version of FreeSurfer.

3) If you have both Tensorflow versions, the latest installed version is used.
If you have the GPU version installed and the CPU is used, it means that
Tensorflow has some problems locating your cuda/cudnn libraries. Unfortunately,
I can't help much here. The specific cuda/cudnn libraries depend on your
specific OS and GPU graphic card. Also note that the GPU is used only in the
last part of the algorithm, during the sampling phase.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Stefano