The volume is the volume of cortex only, not the volume of subcortical structures. We don't have a VBM-style analysis that would be needed for subcortical GM. You can always do an ROI analysis, asegstats2table and mri_glmfit with --table option; this will allow you to analyze the volume of each structure as a single number, not a map. To answer your question, your freeview command line does not need to change.