External Email - Use Caution

My opinion (the reviewers of your manuscript may have a different one):
In general it is fine to use scans which are 10 years old. But in your case,
the problem is that all control subjects were scanned in batch 1 (date: 10y
ago/scanner 1/protocol 1/t2-availabilty=no/...) and all case subjects with
batch 2 (date: now/scanner 2/protocol 2/t2-availabilty=yes/...).

If half of your scans would be 10 years old (including a random mixture of
cases and controls) and the other half new with t2 (also including a random
mixture of cases and controls), I guess I would not care *that* much. But this
way, there is no way for the statistical analysis to differentiate between
batch effect and group effect.

Therefore, I doubt that you would be able to publish whatever results you get
in a decent journal.

Tim

--
Dr. Tim Schäfer