On 6/20/2022 3:42 PM, Julian Macoveanu wrote:
>          External Email - Use Caution
>
> Dear Freesurfers,
>
> I have a simple design with patients and controls and would like to
> find regions showing group differences in cortical volume and
> thickness. I also remove the effect of age, sex and ICV. Running the
> GLM group analysis by the book I get a few clusters showing
> significant differences in intercept.
>
> 1. I interpret this like patients have smaller “predicted” regional
> volume at age 0, or at mean age of the group (if demeaned age
> covariate) compared to controls. How can this finding be described in
> a more clinically meaningful way?
I'm not sure what you mean here. It seems like you have the
interpretation correct.

> 2. Related to the above, how do I visualize what is going on in the
> significant clusters? The extracted values from these clusters
> (ocn.dat) show no group differences in volume when displaying the
> group means in SPSS (using either age/sex/ICV adjusted or non-adjusted
> values). Maybe I am misunderstanding something, how can there be
> differences in intercept but no differences between group means?
> (slopes not significantly different). How do I best describe and
> visualize this group difference in a paper?
You are probably not using the same model as mri_glmfit is using. You
can try to feed the ocn.dat into the same mri_glmfit command with the
--table option instead of --y. If you are going to do this, you will
need to create a new table with the first column being the subject name
and the first row being the clustername (eg, Cluster1, Cluster2, etc).
The very first element (col=1 row=1) can be a dummy string (eg, "dummy")
so that the table is complete.