External Email - Use Caution

The glibc version has changed in newer versions of Ubuntu.  That and/or
changes to encryption related functions is likely preventing the license
decoding from working.   Binary backwards compatibility cannot assure old
binaries will indefinitely run on newer releases of the operating system.,
e.g., CentOS6 binaries may not run on CentOS8.  Freesurfer 5.3 was
released in 2013 at the time of Ubuntu 12 so I would not assume it will run on
Ubuntu 18 and/or newer versions.  I don['t think LD_LIBRARY_PATH will help
with statically linked binaries - and sertting it to point to a version could
break dynamically linked binaries with RPATH strings.  In general it is a
bad idea to be running with different versions of glibc on the same system.
There is an Ubuntu 12 VM running Freesurfer 5.3 available
from https://secure-web.cisco.com/1X4Gyy7SfMYdVSIKIWMlCS7GCLmcJfLLRdLZo-f9j9-meHNAgQCtdlXlSAbkf0YPgUtG5LlLDHvMUjPREuFaul0mn4dCxScTqVtWZeb4TmW_WO4__aKAR7wBdEkdJYeNFFJGre81boE_tNY6GTULYMtWRUR_fWhz23yTmCNoPZ0zkXOMCS2-f8ieX94kysvRbs_MeQ0cppH8SWAusTZnTyuJCA04ttjmS2Xxf_P73_n5rlLExFEIXxPjRn-3EO9_GCJWkb7krP2M6ZZpQkDH2YBdMpc8FEbFV0WpIc8ambmZr5O1_6vNL1bZmrgCZg8CJ/https%3A%2F%2Fsurfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu%2Fpub%2Fdist%2Ffreesurfer%2F5.3.0%2Ffreesurfer-Virtualbox-linux-x86-stable-pub-v5.3-full.vdi.gz%26nbsp;
  That VM still runs in VirtualBox on todays operating systems.
- R.

On Sep 13, 2022, at 13:28, Wighton, Paul <pwigh...@mgh.harvard.edu>
wrote:Hi Rüdiger,This is really interesting..  I'm able to reproduce
this issue in a docker container.  Anyone else who would like to reproduce
or look into this issue can use the following containers- The container
`pwighton/freesurfer:5.3.0-HCP` is based off of ubuntu 16..04 (glibc v2.23) and
everything works as expected in this container.- The container
`pwighton/freesurfer:5.3.0-HCP-focal` is based off of ubuntu 20.04 (glib2
v2.31) and I am experiencing the same issue you describe.- The container
`pwighton/freesurfer:7.3.2-focal` is based off of ubuntu 20.04 and has the
latest version of FreeSurfer installed.  Everything works as expected in
this container.So the issue seems to be some interaction between the v5.3
license checking code and the crypt() function provided by different versions
of glibc, but that is just speculation at this point.I'm sorry I don't have any
solution for this at the moment.  You mention you are using lmod, would it
be possible to define LD_LIBRARY_PATH inside the FreeSurfer 5.3 module to point
to an older version of
glibc?-PaulFrom: freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
<freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> on behalf of Ludwig, Rüdiger
<r.lud...@eni-g.de>Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2022 11:32
AMTo: freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
<freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>Subject: [Freesurfer] Follow Up
License Freesurfer 5.3 Ubuntu Hello again,I realized I might have missed
some important information in my question about freesurfer 5.3 license files a
few days ago:We use Ubuntu 20 with lmod. FREESURFER_HOME  is
''/opt/apps/freesurfer/5.3/''  for freesurfer 5.3When we try ''mri_convert
sample-001.mgz sample-001.nii.gz'' without a proper license file we get the
Error:ERROR: Invalid FreeSurfer license key found in license file
/opt/apps/freesurfer/5.3/license.txtAfter we copy the license file to the
proper position we get:ERROR: Invalid FreeSurfer license key found in license
file /opt/apps/freesurfer/5.3/license.txtSo the file is obviously read but
rejected. We get the same result it with a brand new license file, and one that
still works for freesurfer 5.3 on our CentOS 7 node.We do not have any problems
reading the license file in freesurfer 7.2 or freesurfer 7.3If you need any
further information to help us, we am more than willing to provide that.Thank
you so much in advanceRuediger---Rüdiger Ludwig (he/him)IT-ServiceEuropean
Neuroscience InstituteA Joint Initiative of the University Medical Center
Göttingen and the Max Planck SocietyGrisebachstr. 537077 GöttingenTel: +49
551-39 61308Email: r.ludwig@eni-g.deOffice: