I think you can try to use mris_register directly.

https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/mris_register

From: freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
<freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> On Behalf Of Huang, Yujing
Sent: Wednesday, February 8, 2023 11:05 AM
To: Freesurfer support list <freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] Directory

Hi Asa,

I'm wondering if your SUBJECTS_DIR is /tmp/HCP?

It looks like surfreg checks if target is 'fsaverage_sym'. Can you try passing
just 'fsaverage_sym'?

Best,

Yujing

From:
freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu<mailto:freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>

<freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu<mailto:freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>>
 On Behalf Of Asa Borzabadi Farahani
Sent: Wednesday, February 8, 2023 10:38 AM
To: freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu<mailto:freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
<Freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu<mailto:Freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>>
Subject: [Freesurfer] Directory

        External Email - Use Caution

Hi there experts!

I'm hoping to use the surfreg function on some data in which I can't make any
modifications to the subject directory (I'm using a cluster and the data is for
public use thus prohibits any changes to it).

I want to use the fsaverage_sym as my target file, though the function seems to
only be looking for this folder within the subjects directory. Thus when
running the following command:
surfreg --s 126426 --t /project/60019995/coopapap/data/HCP/fsaverage_sym --lh
I get the following error:
ERROR: cannot find /project/60019995/coopapap/data/HCP/fsaverage_sym in /tmp/HCP

I'm wondering if there is a workaround to using this command even when I can't
make any modifications to the subjects directory. To summarize, I'd like all
outputs to go to a personal folder, and I'd like to use a template file that is
in my personal folder.

Thank you kindly.
Asa Farahani