Does this describe the problem?
https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/ReleaseNotes
Bug fix: improve surface placement in inferior frontal area near putamen. There are some cases where the white surface is not placed well in these areas because of the close proximity of putamen to cortex; it is probably the case that the surface is not well-defined in this region anyway, but the placement can be improved by creating an expert options file with the line "WhitePreAparc --rip-bg-no-annot"
Let me know if that fixes the problem