From: freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
<freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> On Behalf Of wangzhiwei3233
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2024 1:27 AM
To: freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] converting preprecessed functional surface data to
gifti

        External Email - Use Caution

Dear Yujing,

Thank you for your response.

I attempted the command again as follows:

mris_convert -f $funcfile ${SUBJECTS_DIR}/fsaverage/surf/${hemi}.white
./$fname.gii

This time, no errors were reported. However, upon comparison, it appears that
the output gii file is identical (same file size) to the output from the
following command line:

mri_convert $funcfile  ./$fname.gii (Note: mri_convert, not mris_convert)

The content of the output file is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE GIFTI SYSTEM "http://gifti.projects.nitrc.org/gifti.dtd";>

<GIFTI Version="1.0"  NumberOfDataArrays="1">

   <MetaData>

      <MD>

         <Name><![CDATA[UserName]]></Name>

         <Value><![CDATA[wzw]]></Value>

      </MD>

      <MD>

         <Name><![CDATA[Date]]></Name>

         <Value><![CDATA[Tue Jan 30 11:31:22 2024]]></Value>

      </MD>

      <MD>

         <Name><![CDATA[gifticlib-version]]></Name>

         <Value><![CDATA[gifti library version 1.09, 28 June, 2010]]></Value>

      </MD>

   </MetaData>

   <LabelTable/>

   <DataArray Intent="NIFTI_INTENT_NONE"

              DataType="NIFTI_TYPE_FLOAT32"

              ArrayIndexingOrder="RowMajorOrder"

              Dimensionality="1"

              Dim0="163842"

              Encoding="GZipBase64Binary"

              Endian="LittleEndian"

              ExternalFileName=""

              ExternalFileOffset="">

      <MetaData/>

<Data>eJysunV4ldfWtxsh7u7utuLua95xJ8RICQQnFA1OCQQIWjQ4xYsXdyheNDR4sKLBKSSEIkkg+Z69r+vd17fP6dnvOd975j9rZeVZz5xzzDF+4/(.....more
 lines like this, not shown )

It appears that there is no vertex coordinate information in it. I am uncertain
whether the output result file is correct. What should the output file look
like?

My ultimate goal is to perform GLM analysis in SPM using these gii data. The
'gifti' function in SPM can read the output gii file, but it contains only
values (cdata: 163842×1 single), as I split the frames, so the frame is "×1".
This leads to errors in further analysis. I also converted the pial surface to
gii and read it using the 'gifti' function in SPM; it contained three fields:

     faces: [327680×3 int32]

         mat: [4×4 double]

    vertices: [163842×3 single]

It seems that there is no problem with converting the pial surface to gii, but
there is an issue with converting functional surface data to gii.

Best,

zhiwei