External Email - Use Caution

Hi FS support team,

I am going to be using mri_glmfit to test 1) main effects (which regions
show differences in cortical thickness between group 1 and group 2) and 2)
interaction effects (does the relationship between IV and DV depend on
moderator). Depending on the model, the IV is sometimes a binary
categorical variable and sometimes a continuous variable. The moderator is
always continuous. So, interaction effects are either continuous x
continuous OR categorical x continuous.

One thing I'm trying to understand is whether the two examples below are
basically two different approaches that answer the SAME question: Do people
in Group 1 differ from Group 2 on cortical thickness? Version 1 is the one
provided by FS and Version 2 is an analog of another setup I have been
provided by colleagues. Are these models answering the same or different
questions? The freesurfer link below also shows an example of how to do an
interaction (Group x Age) using Version 1 setup; for Version 2 setup of an
interaction, I know I would multiply the IV and Moderator before this step
so that I would have an additional "interaction variable" column to add as
one of the 'Variables' listed in the fsgd code.  So, I'm also curious if
the two different methods of testing an interaction (in addition to the
first question about the main effect) will get you the identical answer OR
if there is something conceptually different? Do the nuances of this setup
have to do with the difference between using DODS or DOSS?

*Main effect of Group on cortical thickness Version 1 (copied from FS
example. link here
<https://secure-web.cisco.com/1cgzre8FgLw0c17s9QNhmU_14vQ714XlLV20U4K14P96Afbs-6Heo84PLySiwVhDEZMhxP0C6FgIow7J7CguJV6osIK9fC2z1hN85kjx1hYSlGn-ewBZLibOXP73prq6qzehGuWIRDsDCEiRBlSxahnAXEQvrZFCHQKMOQR2X4kI3qYW5Lz5tLkGPv3ihsbW73z7AgR__zjM9Q0tck9Z_lN10U8oIYt6XTvyXshAZinK2vbV5cFWo8PxMMpXWi37uJxfQNvoOksCQwKocaxlN5ontLF542jDxjQ-MXsnM1VfM2onrGG6H9M-rle6KQe7JYj9siXKlYK3v1WBNbA874g/https%3A%2F%2Fsurfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu%2Ffswiki%2FFsgdf2G2V>)*
GroupDescriptorFile 1
Title OSGM
Class Group1
Class Group2
Variables Age Weight
Input subject1 Group1 30 100
Input subject2 Group2 40 120

Contrasts: 1 -1 0 0 0 0 (to test main effect of group; this feels like an
anova approach?)

*Main effect of Group on cortical thickness Version 2*
GroupDescriptorFile 1
Title OSGM
Class Subjects
Variables Group Age Weight
Input subject1 Subjects 0.5 30 100
Input subject2 Subjects -.5 40 120

contrasts: 0 1 0 0 (to test main effect of group; this feels like a linear
regression approach?)

Thank you in advance for your help!

Lydia
--

Lydia Wu-Chung, M.A.
Doctoral candidate

*Confidentiality Text:*

confidential, and/or protected from disclosure. This e-mail message may
contain protected health information (PHI); dissemination of PHI should
comply with applicable federal and state laws. If you are not the intended
recipient, or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, any
further review, disclosure, use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message or any attachment (or the information contained therein) is
strictly prohibited. If you think that you have received this e-mail
message in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all
references to it and its contents from your systems.